Rejoice Always


Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

1 Thessalonians 5:13-23

Rejoice always.  Just what exactly does that mean?  Does it mean to rejoice the birth of a baby?  Yes.  Does it mean to rejoice when you receive a bonus check from work?  Yes.  Does it mean to rejoice when a prayer request has been answered?  Yes.  Does it mean to rejoice when someone has gossiped about you and hurt you?  Yes.  WHAT?!?!  God wants me to rejoice when I am hurting and someone has done me wrong?  ABSOLTELY!!

What a strange way of thinking in a world full of selfish people.  The thoughts of even having to find any kind of joy in our times of hurting are completely ridiculous.  Is it ridiculous?

We are told to rejoice always and give thanks in ALL circumstances.  Whether good or bad the above passage says, “For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”. Read that again.  Not only the good but also the bad as well are both part of God’s will for our lives when we are a child of God.

Made me stop and think when I read that verse again.  I have read this passage over many times. I can check it off my list as one that I have memorized but it was not until this morning that it all sunk in and the blindfold was removed from my eyes.

Everything event, every moment of joy, every storm and every trial are part of God’s will for my life.  He is able to take every aspect of my life and work it out according to His purpose and plan and He does so in order to bring glory to Himself.  Is that not amazing?  He allows us to make our own stupid choices and even mess up in major ways and then He is able to turn every one of our mistakes into something that brings Him glory.  WOW!

I have had people tell me that they feel incredibly sorry for what I (as well as my children) have had to go through.  They have “cursed” the presence of certain people in my life.  Let me say this…I am so incredibly THANKFUL for every person and every event that has transpired in my life over the past two years.  Do not feel sorry for me but instead rejoice with me at the work that God is doing in my life.  It is amazing!  I know it is difficult for many to see the awesome work that He is doing because you are unable to witness every event with me and only hear things through the “grapevine” but trust me when I say, I would NOT change a thing. 

I heard a sermon this morning that spoke of God allowing us to sin and make our own choices for a reason.  For those of us who are careless and often act before we think or speak, we end up making some pretty dumb moves.  I am thankful for a God who gives me those choices and does not treat me like a puppet.  He allows us those choices in order to draw us back to Him.  In order for us to become broken and realize our great need for Him in our lives we must fall sometimes.  God knows what He is doing.  His plans are perfect and are not to cause us harm.  That is what I have learned and that is what I am experiencing.

So to all my blog followers, rejoice with me!  Give thanks for every event that has transpired over the past two years because God is GOOD and He is up to something AMAZING!!!

Comments

  1. I am eternally grateful for your transparency and love for the Lord! It is contagious! God bless you and yours and have a beautiful Thanksgiving.

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts