What is to come...


I wish I did a better job of keeping records of what has transpired over the past couple of years. Life has been crazy and I have not always had the opportunity to write everything down.  One of the things I would have really preferred to keep better record of is the divine appointments that have taken place.  Each one has been as if God were speaking to me Himself.  He has used many incredible moments to speak to me and I do not ever want to forget them.

One happened just this week.  I was working and it was an hour before closing.  A lady walked over to my counter and began asking me about foundation colors.  (I work at a cosmetic counter) We began looking at choices and I offered her a makeover.  She sat in my chair and I began doing what I do.  As I worked, we began talking.  I do not even remember at this point how our conversation started nor do I remember how we ended up talking about our lives but we did. 

She began sharing her story with me.  She shared personal details of her divorce, her pain but also the blessings that followed.  I sat and listened as she shared how God worked in her life and provided for her and her daughter through it all.  I then began to share.  As I shared my story and as I spoke, scripture began flowing from her lips.  She shared verses of comfort, verses that offered hope, verses that brought me confidence and I knew God had placed her in my chair.

In three days, I will be representing myself in court.  I am three days away from facing my giant.  My verse at this season in my life are the words of David before taking down Goliath “David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 Today the Lord will conquer you…” 1 Samuel 17:45-46a

I once was afraid.  I once trembled at the thought of standing on my own.  I once felt hopeless.  I once almost walked away from my faith but then I experienced God.  I experienced His power.  I experienced His provision.  I experienced His faithfulness.  I experienced His peace.  I experienced His love.  I experience His forgiveness and I am no longer afraid. 

I am not going into battle alone.  When I enter that courtroom, I will not be representing myself.  The God who created all things will be standing in my place.  He has already prepared my way and knows the outcome.  I will stand with confidence for I know that in the end; my God will have the victory no matter the outcome!

I spent an hour with this special lady at my counter.  Before leaving, she wrote down her name and number.  She told me she would lift me in prayer and told me to call and she would go to the courthouse with me.  This morning I pulled out her card and noticed something else written on the card she handed me that I did not notice the other night.  She had simply written Psalm 56 on the bottom.  I think that passage says it all.

O God, have mercy on me,
      for people are hounding me.
      My foes attack me all day long.
 2 I am constantly hounded by those who slander me,
      and many are boldly attacking me.
 3 But when I am afraid,
      I will put my trust in you.
 4 I praise God for what he has promised.
      I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
      What can mere mortals do to me?
 5 They are always twisting what I say;
      they spend their days plotting to harm me.
 
6 They come together to spy on me—
      watching my every step, eager to kill me.
 
7 Don’t let them get away with their wickedness;
      in your anger, O God, bring them down.
 8 You keep track of all my sorrows.[a]
      You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
      You have recorded each one in your book.
 9 My enemies will retreat when I call to you for help.
      This I know: God is on my side!
 
10 I praise God for what he has promised;
      Yes, I praise the Lord
 for what he has promised.
 
11 I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
      What can mere mortals do to me?
 12 I will fulfill my vows to you, O God,
      and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help.
 
13 For you have rescued me from death;
      you have kept my feet from slipping.
   So now I can walk in your presence, O God,
      in your life-giving light.
Psalm 56



Comments

Popular Posts