The Battle belongs to the Lord of Hosts!


David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel!
1 Samuel 17:45-46

Several years ago, I purchased the book Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler.  I studied my way through the book and very much enjoyed what I was learning.  A few of the names meant something to me at the time because I had experienced those attributes but the rest became head knowledge that I tucked away.

Over the past couple of years, all of those names have become very relevant in my life.  I have now experienced many of the attributes of God in divine ways. It has been an amazing journey and my faith has grown. I am now coming upon my greatest test of faith and going up against my Goliath in a matter of days.  I am going to battle but my perspective has changed.  One year ago, six months ago and in fact two months ago, I was going into my battle ready to fight.  I was ready to slay and destroy.  I was scared to death. That has all changed.

Repeatedly over the past few weeks, God has revealed His name Yahweh Tsebaoth to me.  It means Lord Almighty, The Lord of Hosts. It reminds us that all of creation, every part of it is under God’s rule and reign.  Nothing happens that has not passed through His hands.  Nothing happens that He has not given the go ahead to.  Nothing is a surprise to Him.  Do you understand what that means? Really understand it?
The story of David and Goliath has become very significant for me and I have found something in that story that means a great deal more to me now.  As I have read and reread the amazing journey of David, I have discovered so much more to the story and it is changing my life.

When I was a kid, the story of David and Goliath meant a young boy killed a giant with a rock. It was impressive but there something that speaks to me even more now. Before heading into battle, Saul put David in his armor.  He placed a bronze helmet on his head and placed a coat of mail (An armored coat made of chain) over him.  David then strapped on the sword of Saul and tried to walk.  He found that he was unable because he was not used to walking in something that so heavily weighed him down. He then removed it all. From there David took his staff and five smooth stones as well as his sling and headed toward Goliath.

We know how the story ends but did you catch the other part? Logic/the world say that when going to battle, you suit up.  You wear your heaviest armor and grab your sword.  That is the thinking of the world.  David knew something greater.  He knew Someone stronger.  He knew there was Someone more faithful and stronger then metal.  He knew that he had the Lord Almighty on His side. 

As I sit, take a deep breath and acknowledge who my God is, I am reminded that He is the God that created the heavens and the earth. He parted the red sea.  He is the same God who used a shepherd to defeat a giant. He is the God who delivered Jonah from the belly of a whale.  He is the God who was with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace and with Daniel in the lion’s den.  He is the same God who raised Lazarus from the dead and cast out demons.  He is the God who died for my sins and rose to life again.  That is my God!

Step back and hold on tight because once you realize the strength you have when God is on your side, there is no stopping you.  Granted there will be those who question your judgment and thinking.  There will be those who mock you but in the end, God will have the glory and He will fight for you.

The world tells us that we need their kind of armor whatever that may mean for you but God tells us something different. Worldly armor will weigh us down leaving us unable to fight our battle. God tells us to be strong and to put on His armor.

A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we[a] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.[b] 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.[  Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.

Ephesians 6:10-18

We must remember that we are not fighting flesh and blood while walking on this earth. (Eph 10:12)  Instead, we are fighting evil, the mighty powers of darkness and things that are unseen.  We cannot combat that evil with worldly armor because it will not protect us. Instead, we are to clothe ourselves in the belt of truth and the armor of God’s righteousness. Our feet are to be fitted with the gospel of peace. We are given a shield of faith that allows us to deflect the arrows of the evil one.  In addition, we have the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God!

We call upon His name, Yahweh Tsebaoth giving us the ability to face challengers of all kinds without fear but with much confidence. God has a plan.  When we trust Him to carry it out instead of ourselves and suit up in His armor, there will be a great victory. Remember that the battle belongs to the Lord!

Comments

Popular Posts