Little White Church

Day 11 of 21 Over half way there

I grew up in an old traditional Baptist church. I do not say old because of their ways but instead because of its history. Wounded soldiers were treated during the civil war in this church. It was a place where soldiers could hide. It is a church with many stories to tell.

I love that old church and it is the one place that I love singing old hymns. I do not think I could go back to that church, stand in those beautiful wooden pews with the red cushions, and not hold a hymnal in my hand for worship. It just wouldn't be right. It is where I learned the words to every hymn by memory and have carried those songs with me to this day. I cannot sit here and name every song we sang but if one begins to play, it amazes me the way that the words come. On occasion, when I am dealing with things, God will put one of those songs on my heart. For the past five days, I have woken up every morning with Standing on the Promises in my head. I think He might be trying to tell me something J

  • Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
    Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
    Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
    Standing on the promises of God.
    • Refrain:
      Standing, standing,
      Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
      Standing, standing,
      I'm standing on the promises of God.
  • Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
    When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
    By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
    Standing on the promises of God.
  • Standing on the promises I now can see
    Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
    Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
    Standing on the promises of God.
  • Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
    Bound to Him eternally by love's strong cord,
    Overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword,
    Standing on the promises of God.
  • Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
    List'ning every moment to the Spirit's call,
    Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
    Standing on the promises of God.
  • ~Russell K Carter 1886~


     

    "Make Thy paths known to me, O Lord; teach me Thy ways. Lead me in Thy truth and teach me; Thou art God my Savior."

    Psalm 25:4, 5, NEB

    "When we cannot see our way
    Let us trust and still obey;
    He who bids us forward go
    Cannot fail the way to show.
    Though the sea be deep and wide,
    Though a passage seem denied,
    Fearless let us still proceed,
    Since the Lord vouchsafes to lead."

    Anonymous

    "If there is any man who fears the Lord, he shall be shown the path that he should choose."

    Psalm 25:12, NEB


Comments

  1. I love that same little white church and yearn for it to thrive again. I also love it when I awake with a Godsong on my mind. He will put a song on my lips and it will draw me to Him all throughout the day. You and all your little ones are still in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts