Lost Salvation?


"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
Romans 8:5

 

I am at a crossroads. I would truly enjoy some feedback on this posting because I really would like some input on the belief of other Christians out there.


 

What does the bible say about unconditional salvation? Can we lose our salvation? What of those who profess to be a follower of Christ but their actions, words and lifestyle reflect something very different?

I know a person right now who is living a lifestyle in front of some that leads those people to believe that they are godly and walking a righteous path but behind closed doors, is manipulating and destroying another believer. This person does not seem to feel guilt or act as if they have a conscience. It is almost scary. They live as if the lies they tell are complete truth and it has becomes their reality.

When I think about it, I do not know which scares me more. The fact that this person has a following and that those following are totally sucked into this world of lies or that this person can act, speak and live in this way without feeling any sort of conviction. What does that say about their spiritual health?

Scripture tells us that none of us is good (Mark 10:17-19) and we all sin (1 John 1:8). The important question to ask then is are you convicted when you sin? If you lie, does the Holy Spirit convict you? When you hurt someone, does the Holy Spirit tug at your heart? If you cannot answer yes to that question, I believe that you may not truly be saved.


 

I have asked more than one pastor about their thoughts on losing your salvation and one of the responses I received has always stuck with me. His response was that if you fall away from God and there is no conviction for your sins, though you may have prayed the prayer, it most likely was not sincere and you are not saved. There are so many out there that proclaim to follow Christ yet everything they do speaks to something different. Scripture says that we are known by our fruit.

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Matthew 7:15-20

If our life does not reflect good fruit, then how can we claim to be Christ followers?

I am truly at a loss. My heart breaks for this person and all I can do right now is pray for them because I truly question their salvation. I know I cannot judge but I care for this person enough that I do not want to think of them spending eternity in hell and so I will choose to pray for a spiritual awakening. I pray that this particular heart will be opened and possibly, for the first time this person will feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

How do you combat something so evil? I know God is greater than any enemy is. I know He will have the victory in the end and that His justice will be served but how do you survive against something so dark that makes you feel as if you're living hell on earth? When I am around this person, it is truly unnerving. I literally begin to shake and my spirit becomes unsettled. Every time I know that I am going to have to see this person I have to pray to get prepared for the battle that takes place spiritually within me.
What are your thoughts? Do you know anyone like this? Do you believe that salvation can be lost?


 


 


 


 

Comments

  1. I know that feeling all to well of becoming unglued. I believe it is a gift God gives us when then Holy Spirit lives within us. It is like radar and detects those things that are evil, warning us to stay away. My feeling is that if this person brings that nervous feeling to you that you need to be on guard and in prayer. I will be praying too.

    Tabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I believe it can be lost. You know a believer when you see one (because of their talk and actions). It can be hard to pick out the fake ones, but those that are genuine are obvious. I just feel bad for those fake ones. The day will come when they have to stand before God and account for claiming to follow Him but living for themselves.

    Great post btw

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I've heard many great debates over this very topic and I have to agree with what one pastor told you. If you say the prayer and it is heartfelt, I don't believe you walk away from it. When there is true conviction you can't walk away from that. Lots of people pray that prayer because they think it's the right thing to do but it doesn't get you through the door. You have to believe it with all your heart, have some serious faith and live accordingly. Faith means you have peace in your life and if you don't have peace, you better be thinking about whether you should be praying that prayer again because it apparently didn't take the first time.

    Trooper

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ungodly are every where and evil does exist. We must be on guard at all times. Satan is alive and well in the church and there are many who proclaim Christ but live the opposite way. It is scary because there are so many bound for hell. All we can do is pray!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts