Butterflies

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

2 Corinthians 3:18

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

1Peter 5:5-7


 

In my backyard are two huge butterfly bushes. I love to sit at the kitchen table, look out at those bushes, and watch the countless butterflies and even sometimes hummingbirds flying around.

Occasionally, while those butterflies are flying around, one will get itself caught in the screen room and is unable to escape. As scary as it must be for that butterfly, there is no sign of panic but instead I find that it usually rests upon the screen and is still.

That butterfly is trapped but it does not panic. I have spent many years feeling trapped by my circumstances but instead of being calm and still, I have lived in a frantic state. Sometimes I did not even know which way was up much less where the door was to escape.

Over time, I have learned that when those moments of anxiety set in, all I have to do is be still before the Lord and trust Him. There is no room for anxious feelings when God is in control and we are obedient to Him. I am transforming daily into more of who He wants me to be and the transformation is beautiful. I have been a caterpillar for 19 years but God is slowly changing me into that beautiful butterfly.

In the end, I walk outside into that screen room and direct that butterfly out the door just like God does with me when I allow Him.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts