Righteousness

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,

“when I will raise up to David a righteous Branch,

a King who will reign wisely

and do what is just and right in the land.

In His days Judah will be saved

and Israel will live in safety.

This is the name by which He will be called:

The Lord Our Righteousness…

“This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel

after that time,” declares the Lord.

“I will put my law in their minds

and write it on their hearts.

I will be their God,

and they will be my people.”

Jeremiah 23:5-6;31:33

What is righteousness? Righteousness is not a very popular word in our culture but it is important to our happiness because we must be found righteous in order to be in a right standing relationship with God and only God can bring us true happiness.

Jesus Christ’s death on the cross was not only a demonstration of God’s love for us but it was the ultimate expression of Christ’s own love for those who would receive the gift His life offered. He alone made that sacrifice for each one of us.

Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 5:2

He is Yahweh Tsidqenu (yah-WEH tsid-KAY-nu), The Lord Our Righteousness. He is the One who intervened on our very behalf so that we could be restored and in fellowship with God through His life, death and resurrection.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Matthew 5:6

Our righteousness comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. (Romans 3:21-22) It involves conforming to God and His character and realizing our responsibilities toward Him and those around us. Righteousness is not just about outward behaviors but it is also an issue of the heart; of our thoughts, our motives and our very desires. It’s not only about doing what God says but it is also about becoming like Him, His reflection. It means that we must resemble Him in terms of His character by displaying His love, mercy, forgiveness, integrity and humility.

Scripture says that “There is no one righteous, not even one.” Romans 3:10, which proves our need for a Savior. Because of our sin it is impossible for us to have a relationship with God on our own. There is only one way that we can be restored and reconciled to that right relationship with God and that is through Jesus Christ.

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

1Peter 2:24-25

Jesus absorbed the penalty of our sin by His crucifixion on the cross and suffered the punishment that we so deserved. He was pierced for our transgressions and through this restored us forever to the God who so loves us when we call upon His name and believe.


Father I pray that you make me hungry and thirsty for righteousness. Make me aware of my constant need for a Savior and that I alone can never achieve righteousness. May I never forget all that You endured to restore my relationship with You and may I never take for granted the cost of my sin and the suffering You endured to restore that relationship and draw me back to You.

Addison Leitch (professor of theology, husband of Elisabeth Elliot) says that righteousness “is primarily and basically a relationship, never an attainment…Christian righteousness…is a direction, a loyalty, a commitment, a hope- and only someday an arrival.”

“Blessings crown the head of the righteous”
Proverbs 10:6


“The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life”
Proverbs 10:11


“When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever.”
Proverbs 10:25


The righteous are delivered from trouble, and the wicked get into it instead.”
Proverbs 11:8

Written by Nicole

Comments

  1. I love this quotation: righteousness “is primarily and basically a relationship, never an attainment…Christian righteousness…is a direction, a loyalty, a commitment, a hope- and only someday an arrival.” .......wow - so well put - a relationship, a loyalty......One of my daily struggles is "being righteous" Ha - in my own power - only frustration and failed works.....As Paul said, "The things I don't want to do - I do; and the things I want to do - I don't do!".. Once I step back and "assess" myself, I realize - "Hey, it's the heart silly" ....no Word + no prayer = no relationship.....and no relationship ultimately equals no righteousness...for as Jesus said in Luke 6:45 "Out of the abundance of the HEART, the mouth speaks"...and Paul said in Romans 12:2 - Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind....how are we "transformed by the renewing of our minds"?? Through the Word and Prayer, the Word and Prayer - there it is again - RELATIONSHIP.......It is not spiritually profound of course, but quite often, as goes our time in the Word and in prayer - so then goes our heart towards our heavenly Father, our families, our co-workers, our friends and neighbors, the guy who cuts us off in traffic, the lady in line yelling at her kids, etc, etc - (you get the idea!)...and thus so goes our righteousness....it all points back to the relationship....as you stated "Make me aware of my constant need for a Saviour"......At this season and always, may we be constantly reminded that "He Himself became the propitiation (the once-and-for-all blood sacrifice to turn away God's wrath) for our sins - and not just ours only, but the sins of the whole world" (I John 2:2)

    O the wonderful cross,
    O the wonderful cross,
    Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live...

    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts